July 23, 2020
Crossroads Family and Friends,
It’s hard to believe that 2020 has now passed the halfway mark! But, then again, most of this year has been unbelievably different than we ever could have imagined. It is in times like these that knowing the one, true God – the God who knew these days were ahead – can bring an incredible sense of peace in our daily lives. We pray everyone reading this message is experiencing God’s peace during this challenging time. And, we want you to know that we stand ready and willing to assist you if you need support. As always, please give us a call at 812-858-8668 if there is anything we can do for you, our church family and friends.
As we enter this second half of 2020, we want to pause and share some mid-year updates and celebrations with you today.
BAPTISMS AND MEMBERSHIPS
We are thrilled to have welcomed 31 people into the Kingdom at Crossroads so far this year! There is nothing on this side of heaven as fulfilling as witnessing a life given over to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. We also celebrate the 16 people, through June, who have chosen to call Crossroads their place of worship and launch pad for living and loving like Jesus!
MORE 2020 HIGHLIGHTS
We want to acknowledge and celebrate several other incredible ways that God has demonstrated His sovereignty and love through our Crossroads’ family through the first half of 2020. These include:
- A great night of teaching back in February, when we dove into what it means to grow in our Dependence on God, the first of the three guiding principles that we are unpacking this year (Making Disciples, Gospel Transformation – cccgo.com/vision)
- Our incredible congregational response in March to the Transform a Village Child Sponsorship initiative in which 250 Maasai (Kenyan) children were adopted.
- A YTH (middle school/high school) "The Weekend" experience in March drew 157 students – up 43% vs. 2019 – led by 58 volunteer YTH leaders who challenged the students to grow deeper in their faith.
- There was an amazing response by our Crossroads church family to live and love like Jesus during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic:
- The creation of the Crossroads COVID-19 Response Team
- The generous $150,000 response from our congregation to the Crossroads COVID-19 Response Fund
- A partnership with Need a Neighbor, Potter’s Wheel, Community One and other area organizations
- Our Crossroads Kids, YTH Middle and High School Services, and Parent Resources all went digital and online in March with our awesome Family Ministries Team.
- The “Easter Together” Celebration with the Church of Evansville at Eastland Mall, including 26+ area churches.
- We had great participation in our Psalm 91 Prayer Initiative.
- 40 Days of Fasting and Prayer culminated in a June Prayer Night.
- Our Newburgh Campus hosted the YMCAs Summer Day Camp and Evansville Christian School's High School Graduation Ceremony.
- We celebrated our first-ever virtual Camp Alive At Home experience, complete with online teaching and student supply kits.
First and foremost, thank you for your continued generosity! As a body of believers, the giving of tithes and offerings continues to be a great act of worship. As evidenced in the highlights above, the ministry being carried out by the people of Crossroads remains alive and well! We understand that the first half of 2020 has been a challenging time for many to continue with a spirit of trust and open-handedness to Jesus with our finances. Please be encouraged that we, as your church leadership, have been praying for your health, safety, and security – including financially – during this season.
We also want to assure you that our church remains in a healthy and stable financial condition. We are thankful to share that because of your generosity, God’s blessing, and our financial stewardship, we have maintained our full staff through the first half of 2020. This was helped in part by the proceeds we received in April from the Paycheck Protection Program, which assisted us in covering payroll and some other operating expenses in April thru June. This program, which is a COVID-related, grant-like incentive for small businesses, nonprofits and churches to maintain employment, was a significant blessing to many employers in our community, including Crossroads.
So, while we are currently financially healthy, we want you to know that our giving year-to-date (YTD) is trending below our annual goal. We are at ~80% of projected giving, or about $500,000 below planned YTD. We have taken many steps over the last few months to reduce our expenses and control operating costs. However, in order to stay on track for a balanced, and lower budget in 2020, we pray you will consider increasing your level of giving in the months ahead or begin giving if you are not already. These next few months will be important not only for the rest of 2020, but as we make plans for ministry in 2021.
To access your current giving statement, you can log on to myCrossroads, our church database. If you have any questions your giving statement, please feel free to contact our Finance Director, Lisa Silen or 812-518-1414.
As we look forward to the second half of 2020, we hope that we have conveyed to you our gratefulness for your support and your active engagement in the ministries of Crossroads. Our church would not exist without the partnership of our congregation and staff in service to our Lord, our community, and our world. In closing, we encourage our entire church family to live and love like Jesus as an active member of the body of Christ. Wherever we live, we work, or we serve, we are all commissioned to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with our words and our lives.
As we have learned these past several months, our faith must transcend our buildings and our gatherings. Together, let’s be light in the darkness wherever we are, every day of every week!
Your Crossroads Elders